Re: [xmca] What new and interesting?

From: Lois Holzman <lholzman who-is-at eastsideinstitute.org>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 08:54:09 PDT

I don't know if it qualifies as a model, but there is also what is
referred to as supplemental education by Gordon and his colleagues,
and complementary learning by the Harvard Family Research Group—the
basic idea being that it is outside of school opportunities that make
the difference. The range is pretty big—quality structured programs
like The Fifth Dimension, museum going, family trips, camps, cultural
and sports events and lessons, etc. The philosophical writings on
identity and race and cosmopolitanism by Appiah (which I like very
much) also resonate here.
I wasn't there, but I heard that James Banks' talk at AERA suggested
that if kids are learning outside of school more than in school maybe
ed researchers should pay attention. Can someone who heard his talk
fill in (and correct me if I got it wrong)?
Lois