Re: [xmca] Abstract to Concrete

Hi Martin,
There are many different meanings of model and purposes of modelling
of course, in science and the arts - but earlier in the thread I was
referring to dual stimulation in Change Laboratory work of modelling
as material dual-stimulation in the way you pick up here. ( That's not
the same thing as  evolving concept- in- practice - but if taken up
the' intellectual riches' become a means of production, as other
material resources).

Modelling is molding too, though such intellectual resources often
seem to last in a period of intervention and then fade away- in
Management Science the more lasting modelling actions tend to be ones
that are identified as 'representing things as they are' and extend
imagination through exploring variables -such as simulation. This
isn't a mainstream recognition of dual-stimulation though - and so it
seems that to articulate , use and recognise such a process takes
considerable 'effort' in intervention.

I also said I liked the illustration of Andy's table example, I was
reading into that  some inscription shaped  from within students' own
desires to carry out their development into the physical spaces they
find themselves inhabiting in being full-time on-campus students, an
incredibly social period yet oriented to finding  'life direction'
recognition and responding to society needs and such. In design not
simulating ( and planning a layout of IT and resources which impose a
model of use, but responding to how intention is expressed and
self-creates 'design' in the process - that process being concept.

This kind of problem is very alive and kicking in universities, where
campus library spaces are being transformed or 'learning-grid' [
lately incorporating 'dance-space' and aesthetic movement  into
building space which also affords intense IT services etc for - inthe
case I'm thinking of-  law student horizons and 'project-work' ]
models reflect that 'germ-cell'  expansion and becoming concrete( did
I use that in a way relates back to Andy's comment, or have I
digressed?)
Christine.