Re: [xmca] Vygotsky, Saussure, and Wolves with different dreams

Of course, Vygotsky completely repudiates the idea that thinking is simply speech minus sound, or that thought is a speech reflex which is inhibited before it is manifest.

First of all, he distinguishes quite clearly (in Chapter Seven) between thinking on the one hand and inner speech on the other.

But he also denies that inner speech is speech minus sound or some kind of inhibited reflex. Here's what he says in section THREE of Chapter Seven:

"According to Watson, (inner speech) is the same as external speech, but not brought to an end. Bekhterev defined it as a verbal reflex whose motor portion is not detected, Sechenov as a reflex interrupted after two-thirds of its journey. In this understanding inner speech may consist of a subordinate moment in the scientific concept of internal speech, but it, like the first, not only does not exhaust the whole of this concept, but does not coincide with it at all. Silently saying words does not yet in any way mean the internal processes of inner speech. Recently, Schilling suggested some terminology to distinguish between inner speech and internal speaking, the latter term denoting the contents of that which has been investigated under the name of inner speech by the authors just referred to. From this notion of inner speech differs quantitatively in that it is referring only to the active rather than passive processes of speech activity, and
 qualitatively in that it is referring to the initial motor activity of speech function. Interior talk from this point of view is a partial function of internal speech, the initial verbal motor act, impulses which are not at all expressed in articulatory movements or which occur in unclear and expressed silent movements, but that accompany, support or hinder thinking functions."

One of the big differences between thinking on the one hand and inner speech on the other is precisely the arrow of time; Vygotsky points out that a thought does not begin at one end and go on linearly until we reach the other (although we may express it that way). Thoughts are much closer to the kind of volitional affective impulses or the referential meanings that Greg is talking about: they appear to happen all over at once.

Paula, in a characteristically funny and warm offline message, makes the point that concepts really have TWO prerequisites: on the one hand, abstraction and generalization (which really seem to me to be two aspects of the same mental process, the isolation of a single feature and then spreading it to other objects), and on the other system and hierarchy. This seems an absolutely key insight.

One of the things that makes this remarkable paper so difficult to understand (but actually not NEARLY as difficult to understand as the chapter of Thinking and Speech it is based on) is the use of expressions like "functional equivalence in STRUCTURE" and "pseudoconceptual reasoning in a SYNCRETIC solution", where we have two apparently incompatible forms of thinking mixed in a kind of intellectual salad dressing.

It's not at all, as the fashionable parlance has it, a "hybrid", which would imply a complete fusion which allows fertile progeny. It's more of an emulsion, where two fundamentally different processes are temporarily and functionally fused.

I think the point is that this is how development takes place. For example, within the indicative gesture, there is the POSSIBILITY of naming things: "This is an apple". And within the nominative act, there is the POSSIBILITY of signifying "This is an abstract, idealized, concept of an apple, not a real apple that ever has or could exist". Just as the child's quasi-rote play contains the potential of role play, and the role play contains the potential of rule based games, Paula and Carol's emulsions point out that there is the POSSIBILITY of pseudoconceptual reasoning in the syncretic solution.

To return to Mike's example. When you set off for the farmer's market, you have in your mind a concept--an idealized, abstract model of the apples you want to buy. It may even be written down as graphemes on a shopping list. When you arrive at the farmer's market, you are confronted by actual objects: you have ascended to the concrete, to use Davydov's phrase.

We often think of Davydov as advocating the direct instruction of concepts from the getgo. Of course, that's not at all what he has in mind: as Schmittau pointed out, he only wants us to begin in a somewhat different place (e.g. measuring instead of counting) because it will make it somewhat easier to arrive at where we want to go.

Some examples: If we want to teach differentiation, it's better to start with the idea of limits than with the idea of measuring the slope of a curve, because only the former will really help you divide by zero. If you want to teach integration, you are better off defining a circle as a polygon with an infinite number of infinitely small sides than as a line where every point is equidistant from some point not on a line.

To give some nonmathematical examples, in moral education it's better to start with identity than with the self, with social roles rather than with self-evaluation. It's not just that this starting point is closer to where the child is. It's that it gets us closer to where we want to go.

Now, on one level, Mike's right: the conversations we have on xmca are perfectly ocmplexive, and what I've just written is the kind of horrible segue that DJs do on the radio ("and now for something completely different--Davydov!")

But to call this a preconceptual or pseudoconceptual post is to ignore what it is made of and to only look at its structure. That is just as big a mistake as to read the Arabian Nights as the story of one woman trying to keep from having her head cut off.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education