Re: [xmca] Re-cycling the idea of a collaborative papers

From: Elina Lampert-Shepel <ellampert who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Jan 19 2008 - 10:55:29 PST

Mike et al,
 I am interested to explore and contribute. I am involved in a several
studies right now that address the issues under discussion. I am in teacher
education right now.

On a different note, I would like to ask for advice. I have been recently
revisiting the whole idea of Vygotskian's learning and development because
of my incoming class reunion in New Yok. Why is it relevant? Well, we were
the last graduates of the school laboratory #17 in Kharkov, Ukraine before
the school was closed( One of two school laboratories where the initial
experiment in development of curriculum based on CHAT, my specifically on
learning activity theory was developed). In other words our elementary
school experience was Elkonin-Davydov curriculum. While planning this
reunion and speaking to a number of my classmates wholive now all over the
world I realized that everyone still refers in every conversation to our
learning experience and how it impacted our lives. 30 years after the
graduation. This experience made me revisit the old Davydov's claim that if
students in elementary school develop theoretical thinking as abilities to
analyze, reflect, model, and plan while becoming agents of learning
activity, the newly formed higher psychological fucntions will impact the
development of a whole person. As far as I know there were no studies that
adressed this claim. Do you think "30 years after the experiment"
data/ study/article will be of any interest?
Thanks,
Elina

On Jan 18, 2008 10:59 PM, Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice that others are interested in the proposed collective article idea.
> I would think that checking out the discussion on development between
> San
> Diego and Helsinki, Kellog and studens and Blunden,
> both his article and ppt presention would be good place to start to
> connect.
>
> mike
>
> On Jan 18, 2008 4:17 PM, David Preiss <davidpreiss@uc.cl> wrote:
>
> > Mike,I would be delighted to contribute to as well! What might be the
> > skeleton of the article? It is such a broad topic!David Preiss
> >
> > On Jan 18, 2008, at 8:49 PM, MARK DE BOER wrote:
> >
> > Dear Dr. Cole,
> >
> > I'd be interested in this collective article... I am not as well read as
> > others, but my experience in the classroom might be of some assistance.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Mark_______________________________________________
> > xmca mailing list
> > xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
> >

> > David Preiss, Ph.D.
> > Subdirector de Extensión y Comunicaciones
> > Escuela de Psicología
> > Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
> > Av Vicuña Mackenna 4860
> > Macul, Santiago
> > Chile
> >
> > Fono: 3544605
> > Fax: 3544844
> > e-mail: davidpreiss@uc.cl
> > web personal: http://web.mac.com/ddpreiss/
> > web institucional: http://www.epuc.cl/profesores/dpreiss

Elina Lampert-Shepel
Assistant Professor
Graduate School of Education
Mercy College New Teacher Residency Program
Mercy College
66 West 35th Street
New York, NY 10001
(212) 615 3367
I have on my table a violin string. It is free. I twist one end of
it and it responds. It is free. But it is not free to do what a
violin string is supposed to do - to produce music. So I take it,
fix it in my violin and tighten it until it is taut. Only then it
is free to be a violin string.
              Sir  Rabindranath  Tagore.