Re: [xmca] Compatible

From: Martin Packer <packer who-is-at duq.edu>
Date: Wed Nov 07 2007 - 12:02:30 PST

I haven't yet read all of Tomasello's paper, and so I haven't got to his
discussion of ontogenesis. But it's clear that he is assuming what the
majority of cognitive scientists assume, that recognition of intentionality
in another's actions requires a mental representation of their mental
representations. 'Theory of mind' is just this: the child must have a theory
- an explicit representation - of the mental states - themselves
representational - of the other, in order to understand their actions.

Even Searle (on whose speech act theory a lot of this paper is based)
recognized that there are 2 kinds of intention: prior intention (in mind, in
his view), and intention-in-action. If we attribute all intentionality to
mental representation then the child must be a little psychologist, shortly
after or even at birth. If we recognize that action itself has intrinsic
intentionality, then certainly the child can live in a social, interpersonal
unity without forming (yet) *representations* of it.

I have other questions too, but this will suffice for now.

>>> Westdene
>>> 2092 Johannesburg
>>> 011 673 9265 082 562 1050