Re: [xmca] Compatible

From: Carol Macdonald <carolmacdon who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 07 2007 - 10:27:59 PST

A theory of mind is essentially interested in how soon young children
realise that other people have minds. Instrumentality is not part of *their
* theory, but Mike you are of course right, and we might say that getting
attention is the primary act of instrumentality and getting the adult (maybe
a willing sibling) to do something would be the secondary level/kind of
instrumentality.

It's such an interesting topic that maybe one of our lurkers would want to
do a study for a graduate study? How about that?

Carol

On 07/11/2007, Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Carol-- I found this comment interesting: "However, a theory of mind
> would
> not
> > get as far as instrumentality." What do you have in mind here? Isn't
> pointing to get the attention of another an instrumental act?
>
> Presumably, what Tomasello and a LOT of others seem to arguing is that
> there
> is a primal, ready at birth, inter-personal/social unity of self and other
> that serves as the grounding for all forms of further development.
> Development from this already and always there foundation involves forms
> of
> differentiation and incorporation/appropriation that are also mutually
> accomplished.
>
> A huge subject.
> mike
>
> On Nov 7, 2007 9:35 AM, Carol Macdonald <carolmacdon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 7, 2007 8:45 AM, Carol Macdonald <carolmacdon@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Mike
> > > Yes, this is definitely compatible. However, a theory of mind would
> not
> > > get as far as instrumentality. The research is certainly very
> > interesting,
> > > but I think that it could go further by testing the instrumentality
> and
> > may
> > > give some kind of rating of the infant's pleasure. This may be for
> other
> > > people to try.
> > > Regards
> > > Carol