Re: [xmca] second nature

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Fri Oct 12 2007 - 17:07:21 PDT

I would like to relate the discussion of "second nature" to the issue of
transparency when the subject and mediating tool become so well coordinated
that the tool becomes
transparent (see Michael's article on mediation and the cole/levitin article
he references which is on lchc.ucsd.edu). Our culture becomes our "second
nature" when it becomes
so familiar, comes to be used to seamlessly as a medium for experiencing the
world that it ceases to be consiously present. Our behavior is, of course,
always mediated through
culture in what michael refers to as the "structural" sense, but ceases to
be mediating in what he refers to as the "functional" sense. In our class
last week where we read wertsch,
roth, lsv, etc on mediation, a philosophy grad student refered to the
transparent case as "from a first person point of view" as opposed to the
third person point of view.

TGIFriday!!
(at least, it is here in san diego)
mike