Re: [xmca] Film Great Ingmar Bergman Dies at 89 | World Latest | Guardian Unlimited

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jul 30 2007 - 17:19:39 PDT

Oh!
Thanks to you all. What a fascinating outpouring of thoughts and emotions.

David-- More interesting, to me, than the forwarding of the report from
whatever source of the news of Bergman's death was the list of items that
came before it and accompanied it. Utterly unbelievale montage creating a
meaning for the 29th of July that represents a fantastic (of course
incomplete) picture of this sad orb on that day.

Eric-- In the 1950's (?) my wife and I walked into ^Seventh Seal"
because it was in a tiny theatre near my home with NO expectations. We we
walked out again so overcome we did not
speak for an hour.

I know nothing of the man's presumed sins. I hope they exceed mine but who
knows? Two weeks ago we tried to obtain that unbelievably painful film,
"Scenes from a marriage." We were sent only part 2 and would not watch it
without part 1 which waits for
its predecessor at our home.

I wonder how Liv Ulman has reacted to this news. Once we saw her at the LA
airport. She was not, in person, the incredible figure she was on the
screen. (This is often true; I knew Veronika Lake who was a femme fatale of
the 1940's 1950's who was very kind to my family, but she was not in the
least a femme fatale off screen).

And of course, as a professor of communcation who gets to teach
film and call it work, and who thinks about Luria, Vygotsky, and
Zaporozhets working with Eisenshtein, just the mention of film in this forum
is a great indulgence.
mike