Re: [xmca] Fwd: social spaces

From: Jennifer Vadeboncoeur (vadebonc@interchange.ubc.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 15:38:20 PST

Hi Steve,

Social class shapes the structure of economic rationalist discourses
and, more particularly, of what we refer to as the chronotope of new
managerialism. Within this discourse, this chronotope, social class
dispositions are ranked hierarchically and privileged accordingly.
Not simply in terms of what the students begin school with, but also
in terms of the positions that they can obtain after school;
positions within a particular labour market that is oriented toward
preserving social status (class) divisions, rather than overcoming
them. Economic rationalism drives new managerialism toward
accountability, the production of certain kinds of students and
teachers, and the more general production of consumers.

I see this discourse, this chronotope, having a profound impact on
schooling in Australia, and elsewhere, and social class shaping them.
Hmmmm...okay, I'm still thinking/writing this through. I'm not sure
if I addressed your question. Are you asking which is primary? Which
is a component of which?

Let me know if I've misread your note - best - jen