[xmca] phollowing the phoneme phringe...

From: katzm@sonoma.edu
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 12:34:11 PST

Hi all:

I liked the teach-cheat example. Thanks for sharing that Peg.

Back to the phoneme discussion -- sorry if this is a repeat post, but for
those interested, I recently read _The Scientist in the Crib: What Early
Learning Tells Us About the Mind_, by Alison Gopnik, Andrew Meltzoff &
Patricia Kuhl (2001). While much of the books was informative, Chapter 4
on language was well worth reading (even for those familiar with first
language acquisition research). The authors described newborns as
"universal linguists" who pay attention to all phonemes for several
months, and gradually become language-specific listeners between 6-12
months of age. They've designed some pretty interesting ways of
investigating what babies know about language and about the world. I
would imagine it's the sort of read that a wide range of undergrads might
enjoy.

Mira-Lisa Katz
Sonoma State University
mira.katz@sonoma.edu