Re: [xmca] Magpie Writing Systems

From: Leif Strandberg (leifstrandberg.ab@telia.com)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2007 - 03:08:54 PST

Hi,

I like this thread about magpies, palimpset and ZPD.

First, about magpies: In my country - Sweden - magpies hatch their eggs
in nests of their own! I have a lot of magpies near my house so I can
confirm that they are decent concerning nests. But! The magpies steal!
They steal silverspoons! The Swedish cuckoo on the other hand puts its
eggs in other's nests.

But, isn't "stealing" and "using other nests" what ZPD:s are all about.
I prefer though to use the words "borrow" and "lend" when I try to help
kids in schools to interact with peers and adults. "Go and borrow some
ideas, methods etc instead of sitting here, feeling that you do not
know."

So, we can learn from magpies and cuckoos.

I agree with Mike that phonemes must have had a very long history
(history!). I came in contact with

Steven Mithen,s book: "The Singing Neanderthals: The origins of Music,
Language, Mind and Body" (Wedenfeld and Nicolson, 2005)

and

Michael Corbalis "From Hand to Mouth - the Origins of Language"
Princeton University, 2002

where they (among other interesting things) say

1 The Neanderthals developed their gestures into grammatical quality.

2 The organ of language internalized (imitated) these gestures (with
its grammatical quality).

I am sorry I can't give you the exact quotes (I have not access to
these books where I am sitting right now). But I recommend them.

Leif