SV: [xmca] Narrative

From: Monica Nilsson (Monica.e.Nilsson@bth.se)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 17:47:57 PST

Narrative is a broad phenomenon, defined differently in the humanities and the social sciences. It could be anything from narrative structure and dramaturgy to the role of narrative in identity formation, learning and sense making. I teach a (net- and distance based) course called Digital Storytelling and I try to cover some aspects of it. These are: (1) generally on narrative and digital storytelling, (2) on pedagogy, learning and storytelling, (3) narrating and (cultural) identity (4) multimodality in storytelling. Here are some (English in contrast to Swedish!) texts and volumes I use:

 Narrative in Teaching, Learning and Research edited by McEwan and K Egan (1995).
 Egan, K (1995) Teaching as Storytelling!
 Engel, Susan (2003) My harmless inside heart turned green: children’s narratives and their inner lives. In Narratives of Childhood (Ed. Bert van Oers) 2003.
 Egan, K (2003) The cognitive tools of children’s imagination. In Narratives of Childhood (Ed. Bert van Oers) 2003.
 Davis, Alan: Co-authoring identity: Digital storytelling in an urban middle school http://thenjournal.org/feature/61/
 Mc Cabe (1997) Cultural Background and Storytelling: A Review and Implications for Schooling.
 Lyle, Sue (2000) Narrative understanding: developing a theoretical context for understanding how children make meaning in classroom settings. Journal of Curriculum Studies, Vol. 32, No 1.
 Ochs, E. & Capps, L. (1996) Narrating the self. American Review of Anthropology, 25, pp. 19-43.
 Ochs, E. & Capps, L. (2001) Living Narrative: Creating Lives in Everyday Storytelling. MA: Harvard University Press.
 Kress (2006) Reading Images: Multimodality, Representation and New Media.
http://www.knowledgepresentation.org/BuildingTheFuture/Kress2/Kress2Quicktime/Kress2Movie.html

There is a lot out there, as I said, depending on the purpose…