Re: [xmca] Zopeds at the cultural historical level

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2006 - 08:46:54 PST

Yes, this seems a plausible way to go. But it is difficult to think of the
dominator
as "more developed" is so many ways (ditto adult/child was an issue I was
trying to
raise, but lets assume that parents know best if you like for purposes of
discussion)
that I recoil often at the thought.

In our 1984 article on zopeds peg griffin and I pointed out, echoing Carol
Emerson
writing about Bakhtin and LSV, that a zoped can be usefully be thought of as
a conversation with the future and that as such, the adult current level of
development does not provide an exhaustive teleology/end point of the
child's development.

I see no easy resolutions here (how could there be, this group cannot agree
that any
putative example of a zoped is in fact an example!), but the issues are
worth thinking,
re-thinking, re-re-thinking, etc.
mike