RE: [xmca] Artist as creator reminds me of combined motor method

From: Peg Griffin (Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 17:47:21 PST

And then there is the performance of "overimitiation" -- did you see the
report of a study in today's NY Times?
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/13/science/13essa.html?incamp=article_popular
_1
Apparently, chimps will imitate unnecessary steps if they can't see that
they are unnecessary -- but use a transparent box and they "edit" and only
imitate the steps that get to the goal. Kids, though, imitate the whole
megillah. Transparent box or not. The article speculates why but I am
guessing the performance people will entertain other possibilities...
Peg