Re: [xmca] Some words about Hi Neighbor

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 04:13:02 PST

The last thought of Vygotsky in the "creativity" paper Mike posted a
few days ago is:

"The experience of the actor, his emotions, appear not as functions
of his personal mental life, but as an objective, social sense and
significance that serves as a transitional stage from psychology to
ideology".

I've attempted to unpack this string of clauses:

1) The actor's experience in acting is reflected in her/his emotions
2) The emotions are not associated solely with the individual but
more with the individual acting in a social context
3) The actor's emotions are meaningful (to the actor and to others)
4) The activity of acting mediates the actor's consciousness

In these, my own words, there is a good theoretical basis for "play".
I'm restricted to the language classroom for my own examples; I'd
love to hear, as Lois called for, some other examples of "play". And
Volker's reference to "play" vs "serious talk" is interesting.

Cheers,

Phil