Re: [xmca] Some words about Hi Neighbor

From: Lois Holzman (lholzman@eastsideinstitute.org)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 17:47:37 PST

Phil's comment enticed me to stop what I was doing and read Vygotsky's
article.

What I learned from and find helpful in this article, like so much of
Vygotsky's writing, is how he shows how we must step outside the box and see
in a different way in order to grapple with a particular issue (problem).
And then once we do, we see different issues (problems) ‹ and often the
original one vanishes (and this is how Wittgenstein describes his own method
of doing philosophy). So even though I don't think I understand what the
psychology of the actor means to him, I can see how he is relocating it
(whatever it is) in the world, which as I read the article doesn't place it
in a social context but makes it a socio-cultural-historical
entity/activity. While I don't (think) I agree with everything in the next
to the last paragraph of Vygotsky's article (below) I can read it as
locating emotions as social activity and not inner states. Does anyone else
read it this way?

Psychology teaches that emotions are not an exception different from other
manifestations of our mental life. Like all other mental functions, emotions
do not remain in the connections in which they are given initially by virtue
of the biological organization of the mind. In the process of social life,
feelings develop and former connections disintegrate; emotions appear in new
relations with other elements of mental life, new systems develop, new
alloys of mental functions and unities of a higher order appear within which
special patterns, interdependencies, special forms of connections and
movement are dominant.

Lois