[xmca] Re: LCA: Toward another LCA

From: Wolff-Michael Roth (mroth@uvic.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 11:56:32 PDT

Hi all,
I am about a month late on this, but it appeared salient to me as I
re-read THOUGHT AND LANGUAGE. The unit has to be larger than the
combination of speech and gesture--as McNeill does. LSV writes, "units
are capable of retaining and expressing the essence of that whole being
analyzed" (p.211). We all know from the work of E. Hutchins, J. Lave
and many others that what people do makes sense in the particular
setting and activity they find themselves. . . This recognition has
led, in my view, A. N. Leont'ev to frame cultural-historically
developed activity as the unit. You cannot understand an utterance, a
sentence, unless you view it with respect to the particular activity in
which the speaker is involved.

This is really important and perhaps the most violated principle in
educational research. All students are not the same in this respect. As
we showed in our study of urban schooling, a student may act within two
activity systems simultaneously and the same action has a different
sense in the two, and leads to very different products/outcomes. For
example, the same action ("dissing" a teacher) will lead to conflict
with the teacher and expulsion from school in one system, but lead to a
larger stock of social capital in the other (peer).

Now we cannot understand this action unless we analyze the historical
development of culture and schooling, the reproduction of White middle
class values, temporal arrangement of the day and activities, social
relations, temporality, and so forth, and how this transacts with the
culture produced and reproduced by the urban (often African American)
students. You cannot look at achievements outside a cultural historical
context. . . lest you want to end up with really useless knowledge and
policies.

Cheers,

Michael