Re: [xmca] RE: meaning and sense and has anyone any opinion

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 22 2005 - 08:00:48 PDT

Peg-- Your synopsis--
 So, maybe 'meaning' can be understood as the paradigmatic and 'sense' as
the
syntagmatic of a mutually constitutive set.
 makes sense to me (so to speak!-- our language cripples us!!).
 It fits well with the LSV's idea that meaning is the most stable end of a
spectrum/dimension/dialectical process and
with his treatment of "true" concepts that exist synchronically in a
systematic relataion to each other.
 What is missing from the terms that go with sense/meaning is any idea of
the relative prominance/role of emotion
in their constitution/functioning. I think of sense as also dynamic in that
it is a process of reduction of an incohate mass
of in situ cobbling together of some way to externalize just the right
artifact with which to negotiate futures with co-labor-ators.
mike
 PS-- Much earlier I asked about what might be the corresponding distinction
in Halliday. If there was an answer, I missed it.
I am still not giving up on the idea that we can pull some sort of
systematic results from the LCA discussion.