[xmca] RE: meaning and sense and has anyone any opinion

From: Peg Griffin (Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jul 22 2005 - 06:31:10 PDT

Gordon, I've often thought along the lines you explore about how it relates
to Vygotsky's meaning/sense discussion. Maybe it reflects his roots in
philology. If so, then maybe we can push it a little further.

Gordon's list of alternatives were: "dynamic/everyday/narrative v.
synoptic/scientific/paradigmatic modes of meaning-making." When I see
"paradigmatic," I look for "syntagmatic." Maybe for Gordon this is in both
or either "dynamic" and "synoptic?"
I understand paradigmatic and syntagmatic as mutually constitutive not so
much "versus." So, for example, for linguists (I think whether you look
back to Prague School or further to Panini) the copula verb ("to be" in
English) as a paradigm (for example: be am is are were been) is relentlessly
tied to/emerging with its syntax (I am. She is. etc.). The syntagmatic
patterning is not just a methodological frame for the morphological
paradigm; neither one is necessarily primitive to the other (but theories of
language might explore to establish this). Each constitutes the other.

So, maybe 'meaning' can be understood as the paradigmatic and 'sense' as the
syntagmatic of a mutually constitutive set.

I don't really think this is anything new for most following this
discussion. Just maybe a resumption?

Thanks, David and Gordon, for ideas on the Olson book.
Peg