Re: [xmca] Re: Some thoughts on some issues in Hasan's papers

From: Wolff-Michael Roth (mroth@uvic.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 09:57:36 PDT

Hi Ed,
I agree with you that the term "real life" and the adjective
"real-life" when used to distinguish schools from other things is
unfortunate. For students caught in schools, schools are terribly REAL
LIFE. It would be better to use the more cumbersome in-school and
out-of-school distinction, thereby marking the different objects that
are involved, levels of control people have over defining the
object/motive they want to concretize, and control over the means,
definitions of goals, division of labor to seek, etc.
Michael