Re: [xmca] Some thoughts on some issues in Hasan's papers

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 07:45:34 PDT

Hi Ed,

A late response - I wonder how "intersubjectivity" fits in with your
problem? A colleague of mine (who I believe is lerking here) is
designing a study of teacher-student intersubjectivity, in which I am
sure attention and engagement will figure. You say "Some effort is
needed to create a way of meaning that turns out to be meaningful to
all, not just to those who come pre-disposed to learn decontextualised
knowledge structures" - in my context of language teaching, this is
probably the single biggest challenge, especially as values of language
knowledge are credited to traditional grammatical descriptions and
rules - I am sure Wittgenstein would shudder in his suit ;-) Of course,
the Bernstein view is from a different time and social space, but there
are aspects that surely can be shared.

Ed, you also said "listening, I think, has a lot to to do with the
ideational, the interpersonal, and the textual aspects of saying" - you
are in sync with the (I am not sure what abbreviation to use any more -
let me use SFL, and hope an SFL'er may suggest a more appropriate
acronym, since we are at a serious cross-disciplinary border crossing,
as Mike just mentioned) SFL view of the most fundamental language
functions that constitute human semiosis.

Thanks for your questions - they kept me awake last night! But
importantly, could you elaborate on, or provide a reference on Corradi
Fiumara? This will certainly add a layer to our discussions.

Cheers,

Phil