Re: The abstract (contd.)

From: Noel Enyedy (enyedy@gseis.ucla.edu)
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 13:25:19 PDT

Peter, Carol, Phil, and all:

Can you say more about the difference between empirical and theoretical
generalization?

I am not very familiar with Davydov's distinctions, but am very intrigued.
From what little I do know (from second hand sources), I understood one
difference to be a focus on generalization from an analysis of the
connections between an element and the essence of the whole (rather than
similarity between elements)

And the critique was a critique of pedagogical approaches that over
emphasized empirical generalization.

If we take the generalization Jurow reports:

Gento: "Itıs gonna‹itıs gonna increase uh, slowly and go down and go up
raises one hand above the other"

Followed by Max: ³Itıs like a personıs body weight. When you get to a
certain weight, (Patrick throws his head back with laughter) your weight
fluctuates, but it stays around the same area, going down, and up down and
up.²

The generalization itself seems to be dealing with connecting the particular
(what happens at a population of 6666) to a description of the essence of
the system/concept, some sort of dynamic steady state.

But if it is the genesis of the generalization that matters for Davydov,
then it is less clear to me. I think you are right that Jurow's "linking"
and "comparing" discussion points to the fact that the genesis did involve
some comparison of particulars, but I took that discussion to be in the
context of "what is sensible" which seems to have at least one eye on the
object.

What do other's think?

Noel