Re: The abstract (contd.)

From: Peter Moxhay (moxhap@portlandschools.org)
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 10:26:49 PDT

Carol, Phil, and all:

Seems like one point to be addressed, in reading Jurow's article, is
whether the generalizations described there in are, in Davydov's
terminology:

(1) formal, empirical generalizations, or

(2) contentful, theoretical generalizations.

On first reading the article, I thought that it was clear that the
focus was on empirical generalizations: note the strong emphasis on
classification (see the discussion of "linking"). From Davydov,
classification is a sure sign of formal logic at work.

But on reading people's interpretations of the article in terms of the
ascent from the abstract to the concrete, I am not so sure.

What do you think? Are the students described in the article making
empirical or theoretical generalizations? Or doesn't this question make
sense?

Peter