Re: The abstract (contd.)

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 04:18:17 PDT

Carol and All,
Thanks for these points. Following your pedagogical thread, recently
departed Joachim Lompscher (following Davydov and Elkonin), as many
here would know, wrote about two main steps of ascending from the
abstract to the concrete - first, formation of starting abstractions,
and second, looking at the concrete via the abstractions that tie in
with the goals of instruction and the instructional content. Quoting
J.L., "In this process of ascending, the concrete variety is
cognitively penetrated and the abstract conceptualisation itself is
changed and enriched by the concrete content. The starting abstraction
contains only the most important features and relations of the learning
object and forms a kind of holistic frame into which the concrete
details may then be integrated and stored in memory".

What I find useful is J.L's point that the learner(s) need to actively
modify the learning object - the starting abstractions are "discovered"
and formed by the learners, in collaboration with others with guidance
from others (in the zpd).

Regards,
Phil