The abstract (contd.)

From: Carol Macdonald (macdonaldc@educ.wits.ac.za)
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 03:39:53 PDT

Hi Guys—
Sorry to add another author/s into the discussion, but I do think it is
helpful, in talking about the abstract.

Vygotsky talked about the “spontaneous” concepts and “scientific” (=subject
discipline) concepts in relation to the zpd. The spontaneous concepts grow
upwards (supply content) and the scientific concepts grow downwards through
instruction, until they meet and constitute true concepts (although many
might be “complexes”, but leave that aside for the moment.)

Hedegaard has used this explicitly in her theory of instruction involving
the notion of the zpd—“instruction creates the zpd”, and she says (1996)
“the everyday (=spontaneous) concepts are spontaneously developed in a
dialectical relation to the scientific concepts, which are mediated through
instruction.”

Mariane H goes on to do her famous “double move” in instruction which she
bases on Davydov’s (1990) idea of the distinction between empirical and
theoretical knowledge. Using theoretical knowledge. “Content and methods are
in this approach conceptualized as dialectically related and as conditions
for each other’s existence” (Hedegaard 2002:30) In this method Hedegaard
(1996) talks about the teacher moving from “general laws”, and in order to
explain the laws “the teacher must choose concrete examples that demonstrate
the general concepts and laws in the most transparent form”. She goes on to
use the “germ cell” model (Davydov, Engeström and herself) where subject
matter should be conceptualized within a connected system of a
subject-matter tradition. (There is more about this, but perhaps I have
written enough today.) This works beautifully, as the concepts change as the
relationships become more complex… .

Perhaps this is a very pedagogical approach to the question, but it seems to
make a great deal of sense, so I am quite content with working from the
abstract down.
Carol

Subject: Re: The uneducated

Walter Kaufman translates "Sauve qui peut" as "Let those who can save
themselves!"

Andy