Re: a little more on the Panofsky article

From: David D. Preiss (david.preiss@yale.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 12:34:17 PDT

Following up on the Panofsky article, I was wondering if the
conclusion that differential expectations are "out of awarenness: has
been re-tested by asking the teachers directly about their behavior
and trying to make them "aware". May be they are not "out of
awarennes" but just hopeless.

Just to illustrate better what I imply, I was talking to a teacher of
a low -income school here and she was actually acting the way is
described in the studies or similarly. Still, she is a teacher that is
working on low-income schools as she is committed to improve the kids'
conditions of life. However, she realize that there are some
studctural limitations that make, in fact, that these kids will not
have the same future than those kids in private schools. We could tell
her to change their habitus or interactional patterns or discurse or
whatever. But it will not change the structural facts: the careers of
this kids, at least in a society as rigid as the Chilean, are not as
flexible as to be changed by a modification of classroom practices.

So, I just wonder, what should these teachers do to act in a
progressive way without feeling that are being just plain ideological?
My guess is that the answer is not to apply what works in rich
settings to poor settings but to develop a new kind of empowering
practice that makes not only the teachers but also the kids aware of
this differential, so they can act responsibly on this awarenness.

What do you think?
David

--
David D. Preiss