Re: Arievitch Discussion

From: Peter Moxhay (moxhap@portlandschools.org)
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 10:12:50 PDT

Mike and all,

I was pleased to see Arievitch's attention to Gal'perin's work, it
certainly may deserve a revival. I would be
happy to see, for example, Gal'perin's Introduction to Psychology
appear in English (if it hasn't).

It is interesting to read Arievitch's attempts to integrate Gal'perin
into the mainstream of activity theory.
But I need to think this through (and read the article a couple more
times) since in the Russian literature one
often hears Gal'perin's work described as just a theory of mental
*actions.*

For example, Davydov listed one of the outstanding problems of activity
theory as the need to connect AT
with other approaches -- and names just two: Piaget's genetic
epistemology and Galperin's theory of mental actions.

If Davydov's classed Gal'perin with Piaget as an *alternative* to AT,
can Gal'perin's work really be an activity approach?
For example, does Gal'perin ever talk about goals/motives? Or does it
matter?

Anyway, does Arievitch succeed in placing Gal'perin closer to Vygotsky
and Leontiev than one might have thought?
What does everyone think?

Peter