Re: xmca

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 09:53:57 PDT

AMEN!!

Ben wrote:

Vygotsky, like Ilyenkov, made wide contributions in the development of construct
ionist social psychology. Like with Hegel, Marx and other really fertile thinke
rs, there is so much in Vygotsky's work, that it is easy to grab a few ideas and
 use them without realizing that by doing so we distort beyond recognition the w
hole contribution.

Ditto Dewey and a lot of the other people discussed on this list.

Ben-- Social psychology as practiced by those who publish in APA journals
doesn't seem much like the intellectual enterprise you refer to as
social psychology which would fit perfectly into our Communication Department.

Is this a general US versus the Rest difference? Do you see the same
schism?
mike