Re: xmca

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@coe.uga.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 12:10:44 PDT

I think this is done both innocently (perhaps lazily) and deliberately. For
instance, for a study of the discourse of character education I'm
completing, I've come across a book chapter by Christine H. Sommers
(Sommers, C. H. (2002). How moral education is finding its way back into
America's schools. In W. Damon (Ed.), Bringing in a new era in character
education (pp. 23-41). Stanford, CA: Hoover Press.) in which she dismisses
liberalism in general by lumping Rousseau and Dewey together. These two are
fundamentally different; Rousseau believed that society corrupts the
pristine child, Dewey believed that development is essentially social. But
for Sommers, the conservative ideology required a dismissal of both as a
conflated pair in order to reject and diminish anything remotely
relativistic in the realm of character development.
Peter