Re: xmca

From: Oudeis (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 03:48:27 PDT

Mike,
Social psychology like that practiced by those contributing to the APA
journals is not all there is to social psychology - even in the USA! G.
H.Mead, for example, is widely regarded as a social psychologist ( and many
publications conforming to his approach certainly won't be found in APA
journals: My undergrad professor of social psychology, Clark McPhail, a
very committed Mead scholar and researcher, is published widely in Journal
of Health and Human Social Behavior, Journal of Psychosomatic Research, The
Sociological Quarterly, Social Problems, and American Sociological Review.
Varenne at Columbia U. (ed. dept) http://varenne.tc.columbia.
edu/bib/info/med00gerg34mindself.html, the Mead Project at Brock University
http://spartan.ac.brocku. ca/~lward/ the Archives of G H Mead at U.S. C.
http://listserv.sc.edu/archives/g-h-mead.html. are all sites where Mead's
works and research and theory related to Mead's orientation may be found.

Social psychology is much more than just a nit-picking collection of
(mostly, but not exclusively, US) researchers engaging in
positivism-informed experiments, which often involve tremendous investment
of resources either just to test the obvious or, even worse, to prove some
ethnocentric hypothesis. It is more like what Salthe would call a level of
an intensional hierarchy - somewhere between sociology and psychology - that
is relevant to a broad range of research problems. After all, even Freud
regarded himself - with some justice - as a social psychologist.