social learning/chat

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 10:24:03 PDT

Hi Anna--
        I lost a giant hunk of mail yesterday which just go retrieved, in
part.

Re internalization/interiorization/appropriation. It is an important
topic which we really ought to tackle in a systematic way. We know what
we don't agree to-- copy theories. Jim W distinguishes mastery from
internalizaation. I like the term appropriation because
1) it blocks a copy theory
2) it fits with the use of the word, appropriate, as in "correct." Why
is this important? Because it provides natural and usable links to the
idea that knowing a culture is indexed by the ability to behave appropriately
in a wide variety of situations that are culturally valued (from
Anthropology) and the notion of passing and management (from Goffman and
other sociologists).

I think that Luria's combined motor method is one way, when generalized,
to get at what has been appropriated/internalized, but the conditions for
the analysis are not simple to arrange.

I am sure Galperin must have had smart things to say on this topic.
mike