Re: social learning/chat

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 17:59:17 PDT

In a message dated 5/8/2002 1:56:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
judith.diamondstone@verizon.net writes:

> At the risk of risking my credibility iconically here, I have to take issue
> with Mike's defense of "appropriation" :
>

> 2) it fits with the use of the word, appropriate, as in "correct." Why
> is this important? Because it provides natural and usable links to the
> idea that knowing a culture is indexed by the ability to behave
> appropriately
> in a wide variety of situations that are culturally valued (from
> Anthropology) and the notion of passing and management (from Goffman and
> other sociologists).
>
> There are many reasons to question the above as a peculiarly conservative
> stance, Mike, starting with multiculturalism (whose culture?), the benefits
> of disruption to an activity (who is/should be appropriating whom,
> according
> to whom?), and more. That is not to say that "appropriate" in the sense of
> "correct" is not a value worth achieving; it's simply not the only or most
> important value for learning by expanding/ development.
>
> Judy

Judy;

Label me as one-track minded but I cannot help but think if the dual issue of
student learning and instructor taught measurements could be resolved then
this issue of 'appropriateness' regarding culturally based competance could
be resolved as well.

An interesting aside but to use the word resolve makes me think that at one
time this issue had been solved, during what period of evolution I am not
quite sure:)
eric