RE: social learning/chat

From: Judy Diamondstone (judith.diamondstone@verizon.net)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 11:33:29 PDT

At the risk of risking my credibility iconically here, I have to take issue
with Mike's defense of "appropriation" :

2) it fits with the use of the word, appropriate, as in "correct." Why
is this important? Because it provides natural and usable links to the
idea that knowing a culture is indexed by the ability to behave
appropriately
in a wide variety of situations that are culturally valued (from
Anthropology) and the notion of passing and management (from Goffman and
other sociologists).

There are many reasons to question the above as a peculiarly conservative
stance, Mike, starting with multiculturalism (whose culture?), the benefits
of disruption to an activity (who is/should be appropriating whom, according
to whom?), and more. That is not to say that "appropriate" in the sense of
"correct" is not a value worth achieving; it's simply not the only or most
important value for learning by expanding/ development.

Judy