Re: enculturation/instruction

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 15:34:20 PST

David,

In the California community college environmnent, "accountability" is used
more in the sense that Eric suggests and is linked with the notion of
"institutional effectiveness assessment". It's virtually impossible to hold
tenured cc faculty accountable for much of anything in the sense you're
using it. This should not be taken to mean that there aren't dedicated,
student-oriented, highly motivated cc faculty; it's just that when they're
not they don't have to be, nobody's holding them accountable. Maybe that's
why "accountability" is used at the institutional level.

Because of this I also wondered why you were separating the two terms.
Now I see that the terms aren't used the same at all in the two
environments-- it sounds to me like your focus environment in the K-12
range. I wonder how many other terms are really applied differently in the
different domains of education and how that influences our ability to
understand each other when we talk about things that use those words/terms.

Paul H. Dillon