Re: enculturation/instruction

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 17:21:57 PST

In a message dated 2/24/2002 5:56:20 PM Central Standard Time,
tinasharpe@ozemail.com.au writes:

> I'm finding the discussion really interesting and helpful and I would
> like to pose another question to the group.
>
> With Vygotsky's notion of ZPD, do you think it is an enculturationist or
> constructivist approach to learning?

I would imagine Tina that Vygotsky's zpd would include both because of
Vygotsky's Dialectic thinking regarding the formation of higher mental
functions. The zpd for Vygotsky was the synthesis(?) of these two exisiting
phenomena; the environmental influences and the person's ability to
incorporate those environmental influences into her consciousness.

Is anyone familiar with the functional method of double stimulation as a
recent experimental phenomenon?

Eric