Re: Citations of Mind in Society's zpd

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 20:42:36 PST

Hey Eric,

I'm just back from a trip with a series of delays getting home, yahdiyadiyah,
and got your message. You should check out Yrjö's work in more detail, which
essentially lays out a "zone of proximal development" for things like
institutions. Mind blowing. Better than drugs.

bb

--- MnFamilyMan@aol.com wrote:
> pg 86 "The zpd . . .is the distance between the actual development as
> determined by independent problem solving and the level of potential
> development as deteremined through problem soving under adult guidance or in
> collaboration with more capable peers." This is the cognitive aspect and
> that which emphasizes semiotic mediation and then there is Vygotsky's
> definition on pg 90 "the zone of proximal development, that is, learning
> awakens a variety of internal developmental processes that are able to
> operate only when the child is interacting with people in his environment and
>
> in cooperation with his peers." This quote almost negates the idea of
> individual measurement of zpds and stakes a claim for social constructs to be
>
> the only defining criteria for zpds.
>
> The purpose of not accepting eclecticism is because of its tendancy for
> relatavistic ideas. If there is an indeed a theoretical construct that is
> driving the use of varying viewpoints then point out the history of those
> connections (great tv show by the way) and name the construct.
>
> Because of Vygotsky's crisis paper I proclaim my methodological construct as
> developmentalist because as an exxplanatory system it embraces Hegel's
> dialectic and its ability to explain the change that accompanies human
> interactions and actions upon interactions. Also for this same reason I like
>
> the term ontogenesis for the cognitive aspect of the zpd and phylogenesis for
>
> the social aspect of the zpd.
>
> Eric

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]