Re(2): Words as commodity/client

From: Charles Nelson (c.nelson@mail.utexas.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 08:09:52 PDT

Andy wrote:

>My view:
>(1) Being a producer and buyer of commodities is a condition I want
>to get out of, and

So you're not out of it yet, then. Still, how do you plan to get out of it?

>(2) Commodity production is the foundation of a society which gives
>us war, famine, serial murder and all sorts of inhumanity, so I do
>what I can to encourage other people to limit their enthusiasm for
>commodity production and exchange.

Limiting one's enthusiasm for commodity production and exchange is a
good practice, but I imagine people can find enough reasons to kill
each other and nature causes enough famines on its own without
blaming everything on commodity production.

>(3) Commodification of education is hardly more despicable than
>commodification of food production, health care, physical safety or
>anything else.
>(4) The state acting as a mediating term in your relationship with a
>student is actually a more archaic and detestable relationship than
>that of commodity exchange.

If the state pays a teacher's salary and dictates rules of
accreditation, school management, teaching, student-teacher
relationships, etc., why deny its mediating nature simply because you
don't like it?

Charles