Re: Student-as-client

From: Andy Blunden (andy@mira.net)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 02:05:31 PDT

At 11:11 PM 8/09/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 9/8/2001 6:59:08 AM Central Daylight Time, andy@mira.net
>writes:
>

>>against the politics of mutual manipulation implicit in the customer-service
>>mentality as well as the old-world mentality of "teacher-knows-best".
>

>Andy,
>
>Why because I offer terms concerning education as a commodity does it have to
>suggest this is a teacher-knows-best proposition.

I really need to work on my ability to communicate in the written word, I
think!

"Teacher-knows-best" is my way of summing up the conception of the
teacher-student relationship that preceded the arrival of the neo-liberal
ideology in educational institutions. That is what I call elsewhere the
"public service" mentality, in which the teacher serves the community as a
whole by executing government education policy, because the government acts
on behalf of the community as a whole, and the teacher in turn acts as an
agent of the government, by virtue of appointment for their expertise in
education.

"Customer-service" is the neo-liberal conception which attacked and
supplanted the old, public servant, "Teacher-knows-best" conception.

The relation that participants on the xmca listserv tend to support is one
which goes beyond the client/service-provider relation, it's a kind of
negation-of-the-negation of neo-liberalism.

Andy