Re: which level?

From: Judith Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 20:33:03 PDT

Paul, I think you conceptualized the levels very well, and, since I'm
bogged down with papers right now & haveb't yet read chapter 3, I
appreciated your distinction between YE's Level III and IV.

The only quibble I'd have is with a definition of Learning III that allows
complex forms of Learning II to pass as Learning III -- but that's a tricky
distinction, since I believe that each "level" entails a proto-version of
the higher level, and, correspondingly to the "levels" of
subject-in-activity, that what is learned at one level can 'sink' or
'harden' into patterning at a lower level.

I like to think of Level III as that mode of individual learning that
re-integrates individual consciousness (a supposed endpoint of development)
with a wider system -- realized when the subject is no longer invested in
being recognized as such....