Re(2): transactions

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 13:04:16 PDT

alfred writes:
>I think the most important thing in understanding the concept of
>transaction is (a) putting it in a context of an evolutive system,
>i.e. of a unit consisting of an organism and its environment, such as
>for example a person in culture, and (b) that it refers to a step or
>phase in the evolutive process, be it innovative or regulative. If
>something, as a part of a given system can have effects going beyond
>its immediate interactional counterpart, be the former or the latter,
>the source or the target of the interactive encounter a person or an
>artefact, I would speak of transaction. Effecting beyond, is the key
>word.

i haven't had time to read all of your writing on the website you offered,
but will catch up -
in the meantime (o' i know we're all supposed to be smart on this list,
too, ha ha, ....BUT)

i'm interested in activities of transgression, boundary-breaking, not just
crossing but breaking through in order to cross into unknown spaces beyond
conscious (an unconscious) borders - and if i think of this word,
trans-action, in
literal terms, it seems to mean crossing over activity, or crossing
through? via activity, towards an effect?
what - if any - is the relation between transaction and transgression,
i.e., might transgression be the effect of certain transactions?

trying to be smart (with a tongue poked in cheek) :)
diane
                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu