Re: Re(2): transactions

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 18:51:15 PDT

Randy, Paul, Alfred, Diane --

Randy, I'll acknowledge a "larger frustration" with Rosenblatt, but I'm
afraid I didn't "know all this" - or rather, I wasn't knowing what I know in
other circumstances -- it wasn't in mind. I think I abducted the meaning of
'transmit' & transmogrified 'transact'

So, Diane, I can certainly see how Eugene's example tripped you up.

Paul, your message suggests that without self-interest, reciprocity would
not be transaction -- did I understand you? I rather like the notion of:

>An apparent
>combination of one-way and two-way process.

but not sure it fits or how it would fit with the 'going beyond' sort of
process within an 'evolutive' system. I haven't read Alfred's paper yet, but
I feel better about completely missing the ballpark on this one, since it
brought Alfred back online.

thanks,
Judy
Judy

At 05:17 PM 8/3/00 -0600, you wrote:
>judy notes:
>>ooo, diane -- Eugene will speak for himself, but I think you misread his
>>message. I don't think he's capable, poor thing, of simplistic analyses :)
>>-Also, he was distinguishing (following Rogoff et al) oranismic from
>>transactional....
>
>oops. ain't that just like me, to fly off in a rant without all the
>information?
>my apologies eugene. i'll try to catch up more with this idea of
>"transaction"
>and simply discard the analogy of "evil person," as i am reckoning that
>isn't what you were on about.
>diane

> :point where everything listens.
>and i slow down, learning how to
>enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.
>
>(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")
>
>diane celia hodges
>
> university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
>instruction
> university of colorado, denver, school of education
>
>Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183