Re: [xmca] Body expression as sign.

Andy, Vera
I was not using Peirce's notion of symbol.
For Peirce the red and blue clyinder represents a barbershop as a symbol.
This  is an ARBITRARY relationship, a sign relationship.

In contrast, I am using Gadamer's notion of symbol [as articulated by Joel
Weinsheimer.]
Weinsheimer points out that Gadamer explored how "symbol", which use to
refer to appearance, reflection,and especially image, has has transformed
its meaning and become historically  equivalent of the meaning of  "sign"

Gadamer is questioning the modern instrumental theory of language and the
sign system of reason. In moden discussions of language the concept of the
image (eikon) has been replaced by that of the sign (semeion or semainon).
Gadamer writes,
"This is not just a terminological change; it expresses an epoch-making
decision about thught concerning language... Wedged in between image and
sign, the being of language couldonly be reduced to the level of pure
sign." [Truth and Method, 413]

Andy, Gadamer is exploring  contrasting the relation of words *as*
signs,  and distinguishing the alternative assumption relating words *as*
images [symbols in Gadamer's tradition].

 Derrida, and Eco,  likewise assert that an image is not a sign.
Gadamer asks what are the consequences and implications of this antithesis
for the philosophy of language?
For Gadamer a sign is a tool. Conceived *as* a sign [tool] a word is an
instrument that the SUBJECT employs for its OWN ends.
Gadamer asks, is it sufficient to think of language *just* or *merely* as a
MEANS of communication?
In Weinsheimer's interpretation of Gadamer,

"Gadamer may overemphasize the sameness, coincidence, continuity, and unity
of the word with what it words - that is, if he stresses the ways in which
words are like images and symbols - he does so by way of corrective, for
nobody disputes the arbitrariness of the sign.... it is necessary to
reexamine the premises of the idealism on which the contrary, semiotic
thesis are based.... Asserting that there is something of the image in the
word raises questions about how free from its concrete situation the
sign-making mind actually is. To phrase this in terms of the AESTHETIC
context from which Gadamer begins, once the symbol degenerates into sign,
it can no longer be distinguished from allegory. Understood as sign, the
symbol is independent of the symbolized, and in that respect allegorical.

Andy, 'm not in a positon to have a strong opinion on these matters, but it
does have some relevance to Vygotsky's notion of *aesthetic reaction* which
Zinchenko was discussing.

Larry