From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:23 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Body expression as sign.

Larry are you intending to use these terms as in Peirce's system?
For Peirce "sign" is a global category including a wide array of
relations between sign, interpretant and object.
For Peirce a *symbol* has only a conventional relation to the object for
the interpretant. It is an *icon* which relies on resemblance to the
object, and an *index* on a material connection. But there are other
theories of semiotics I guess.

Andy
http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/us/peirce2.htm*

<joeg4us@roadrunner.com>wrote:

>> Let us remember that spoken-word language is composed of sounds made by
>> the body, sounds that issue forth as expressions of emotions and that
cause
>> hearers bodies to assume patterns of motion analogous to those in the
>> generators of the sounds. Thereby motion and emotion are transferred from
>> originators to receivers. It is that sense of emotion, that we experience
>> by our spoken words, that provides us with a sense of meaning. Our own
>> emotion is the bottom line of our sense of meaning. Things have meaning
>> only in as much, and in how, they affect us. And our emotions are the way
>> we experience effects. Our words deal in the currency of meaning - our
>> emotions - , and they refer to things. Because of this dual nature, words
-
>> the very things that identify things - inform us of the meaning of our
>> world simply by affecting our emotions with their sounds. Since we are
>> normally preoccupied with the referential aspect of words, it is
>> subconsciously that we experience their emotional effects.
>>
>>                Joseph Gilbert
info/xmca>