Re: [xmca] New publication: Learning Disabilities, post-Vygotsky-Lurian theory and practice through the lens of Akhutina-Pylaeva

I cant wait to read it. Best, David

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 10:58 AM, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for posting, Anton. Great idea, great work.
> mike
>
> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Anton Yasnitsky <the_yasya@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> A new book has just been released and it might well be of considerable
>> interest to some segment of xmca readership and their associates:
>> <QUOTE>
>> Overcoming Learning Disabilities
>> Tatiana V. Akhutina and Natalia M. Pylaeva
>>
>> About the Book
>> Based on the ideas of Russian psychologists Lev Vygotsky and
>> Alexander Luria, this book explores methods of preventing or
>> overcoming learning disabilities. Tatiana V. Akhutina and Natalia
>> M. Pylaeva build on Vygotsky and Luria’s sociocultural
>> theory and their principle of a systemic structure and dynamic
>> organization of higher mental functions. They focus on the
>> interactive scaffolding of the weak components of the child’s
>> functional systems, the transition from joint child-adult coactions,
>> and the emotional involvement of the child. The authors
>> discuss effective ways to remediate issues with attention,
>> executive functions (working memory and cognitive control),
>> and spatial and visual-verbal functions. Overcoming Learning
>> Disabilities translates complex problems into easily understandable
>> concepts useful to school psychologists, special and general
>> education teachers, and parents of children with learning
>> disabilities.
>>
>> Key Features
>> • A book by pupils of great Russian neuropsychologist Alexander
>> Luria
>> • The authors demonstrate the use of Lurian neuropsychological
>> diagnostic methods allowed distinguishing three main
>> types of learning disabilities
>> • Authors describe how to work in the Zone of Proximal Development
>> (Vygotsky’s term) conducting an ongoing qualitative
>> analysis of children’s diffi culties and helping them strengthen
>> the weak ‘link’ of the functional system, etc.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Learning-Disabilities-Tatiana-Akhutina/dp/1107013887
>> </END of QUOTE>
>>
>> There are many "Lurian" psychologies, but the one presented in this book
>> is definitely extremely close to the original Luria's proposal and clearly
>> deserves considerable attention from the theoreticians and, particularly,
>> practitioners. Just in case, the author is available and, I truly believe,
>> eager to comment, discuss, share, and, ultimately, collaborate.
>>
>> FINALLY. Info for those interested in acquiring the book: there seems to
>> be a 20% discount from regular price of USD 99 to a reduced price of 79 for
>> a hardcover edition. FYI: Offer expires 12/31/2012.

David Isaac Hernandez-Saca
Ph.D. Student
Curriculum and Instruction, Special Education Leadership
for School-Wide Equity and Access Doctoral Program
Arizona State University (ASU)
Mary Lou Teachers College
Tempe, Arizona

Equity Alliance at ASU
Arizona State University
PO Box 876103
Tempe AZ 85287-6103
david.hernandezsaca@asu.edu

Have you seen our Language Differences Media Lab?  Find
practitioner-oriented videos and resources for teaching students who
are English language learners or speakers of African American English
(AAE).

‎"Along with great promise, American culture has given education
terrible problems and few conceptual tools for finding solutions. Our
job is to confront current arrangements enough to do research that
delivers on the promise of equality and excellence for all."

- Ray McDermott