Re: [xmca] Measuring culture

Greg, Larry:

I was hoping Larry would help out with the exact source of that quote from Merleau-Ponty. I think it is from one of his aesthetic essays; possibly the one on Cezanne? In any case, I am pretty sure that Merleau-Ponty is talking about painting.

Piaget says that "the American question", the desire to make development faster, better, and more powerful, is naive. When we read Vygotsky we are forced to the conclusion that Vygotsky took the American question very seriously.

I think in the same way I consider the supposedly naive question about paintings, that is, "what does it all mean?" a completely reasonable one. My artist friends opine that this question asks them to render meaning in a language that is utterly foreign to painting, because furiously sleeping ideas are, as all good formalists know, quite colorless.

But to me they are very green. Asian painting has always been talky, or at least writey painting; painting and drawing were differentiated from a common source one can still see the close propinquity in Japanese anime.

And even in benighted Europe, after the Renaissance, and certainly after the invention of chiaroscuro, painting becomes narrative and even grammatical, that is, articulated into field, mode, and tenor (as the Hallidayans would say). Even those great Dutch seascapes are about a kind of dialogue with nature.

I think I would say exactly the same thing about music. On the face of it, music is a pure formalism, all sound and fury, signifying nothing. Merleau-Ponty's position that art must not simply be but also mean leads us to a rather anhedonic and even philistine dismissal of music. How to explain the keen, sometimes mystical and sometimes almost pre-orgasmic, pleasure I get from a passage of Mahler, or those scenes of Chinese opera that I occasionally burden our list with?

The first thing I notice when I look in my CD library (when I get over the trivial idea that a CD 'means' the music it encodes) is that a lot of the most supposedly primitive music I listen too is verbal: Thomas Tallis, African chants, Jejudo harvest songs, Korean children's play songs.

So a little like painting it appears to have differentiated itself from a common source. Adorno says that the 'content' of music is dance; I think that is an overgeneralization, but it is clear that all of this music does have 'meaning' to be found in either work or play or in religious rites. But the second thing I notice in this early music is that the relationship with activity is really not grammaticized.

Lately I've been looking at what used to be called holophrastic classroom languge (e.g. "Look!" "Listen!" "Repeat" from the teacher and "Wow" "Aha!" "Oh, no!" and "Ah--Sssaaa!" from the kids). I notice that a lot of this language puts in musical intonation rather than actual grammar (and in the case of the child's language, what segments we find are often palindromic--even expressions like "Hey, you!" and "Oh, yea!" tend to be pushme-pullyu like.) It seems to me that we can differentiate between the grammaticized language of the teacher (which is really a REASON and a CAUSE of action, and the non-grammaticized language of the kids (which is only RESULT and CONSEQUENCE of action).

It seems to me that this early music is "talky" but it is talky in the same way: it is like the first egocentric speech that Vygotsky notes in "Tool and Sign", an accompaniment or even a result of action. At some time, though, music becomes a way of inspiring, coordinating and initiating action (and this is why Tolstoy decides it is immoral).

To me, that is the precise moment when music, like painting, becomes verbal--musical feeling becomes verbalized and narrativized, and ultimately grammaticized into groups and phrases that behave very much like written language, and often include written language. So musical verbal thinking enters history: poetry becomes lyrical, and music begets opera.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies