Re: [xmca] Measuring culture

Hi Greg,

I would like to contribute to this topic of language by adding in Gadamer,
who I've been listening to lately.

This notion of form [for example when David K suggests Vygotsky is a cuckoo
for filling words (eggs) with new meanings :-}}

Gadamer describes the principle of hermeneutics as simply trying to
understand everything that can be understood. His statement,

*Being that can be understood IS language.

What lies outside the realm of human understanding [our world] is not the
concern of hermeneutics.

In Gadamer's own words,

"This does not mean that there is a world of meanings that is narrowed down
to the status of secondary objects OF knowledge and mere supplements to the
economic and political realities that fundamentally determine the life of a
society. Rather, it means that the mirror of language is reflecting
everything that is. In language, and only in it, can we meet what we never
*encounter* in the world, because we are ourselves it (and NOT merely what
we mean or what we know of ourselves).  But the metaphor of a mirror is not
fully adequate to the phenomenon of language, for in the last analysis
language is not simply a mirror. What we perceive in it is not merely a
*reflection* of our own and all being; it is the living out of what it IS
with US - not only in the concrete interrelationships of work and politics
but in ALL the OTHER relationships and dependencies that comprise our
world."

Greg, this quote was in the context of Gadamer exploring the interrelations
of rhetorical, hermeneutical and sociological forms of understanding and
his conversation with Habermas.  Habermas saw hermeneutics in the service
of expanding the logic of the sociological project of emancipation.
Rhetoric concerns the immediacy of conversation. The hermeneutical
orientation deveoped as a response to modernities turning away from
tradition and Gadamer believes it is vital to diclose the continuing
vitality of tradition within which the sociological project arises.
For Habermas, the life of society and the life of the individual consists
of the INTERACTION of intelligible motives and concrete compulsions in
which social and psychological investigation in a progressive process of
clarification appropriates in order to set man, the actor and agent, FREE.

Gadamer grants the sociotheoretical project has its logic. However, Gadamer
asks Habermas if such a conception does justice to the actual reach of
hermeneutical reflection. Gadamer believes the limiting concept of perfect
interaction between understood motives and consciously performed action is
itself a fictitious concept.  For Gadamer meaning can be experienced even
where it is NOT actually intended.  The concrete factors of work and
politics are within the scope of hermeneutics. But hermeneutics deals with
the prejudice-structures historically immanent in ALL understanding and he
asks, Do these prejudices come merely out of cultura traditions?  Surely,
they do, IN PART, but what is tradition formed from? Habermas asserts that
hermeneutics bans helplessly from WITHIN the WALLS of tradition.  Gadamer
answers, if we understand this *within* as opposite to an *outside* that
DOES NOT ENTER THE WORLD - our to-be-understood, understandable, or
nonunderstandable world - BUT remains the MERE observation of external
alterations (instead of human actions).  This world of mere observations of
external alterations does not concern hermeneutics. Hermeneutics concern is
with human actions and meaning in ALL the relationships and dependencies
that comprise the world [including seeing through the myth of perfect
understanding of motives and its interrelations to concrete compusions in
order to be set free.]  Hermeneutics turns to the essential historicity of
ALL understanding.

Larry