From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Andy Blunden [ablunden@mira.net]
Sent: 27 December 2011 03:47
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [xmca] moral denial

I am considering doing some work with an historian who has written the
history of an asbestos plant and its community. Does anyone know of any
work done, preferably in the CHAT tradition, on the opposite of a moral
panic, what we could call, I suppose, "moral denial"? There is lot about
management cover-up, even stuff about panic over asbestos, medical
evidence, and "living with asbestos," but nothing about how a whole
comunity can keep on working with asbestos when the lethal nature of the
material was already public knowledge, until half the town had died of
or contracted asbestosis. We have lots of ideas, but like to know if
anyone else has looked at this.

Any hints?
Andy