Re: [xmca] Al Andalus as a model for *{ }*

Christine

I sense a kindred spirit in the search for engagement and "enchantment".
Your mentioning Levinas as being difficult to relate to as well as Butler is
something I also struggle with.  It is Butler's recognition that "situated"
agentive subjectivity and "subjectification" as 2 sides of the same coin
that I find intriguing. The degree to which she wants to "de-construct" and
"liberate" is more biased than my own sensibility.
Levinas RADICAL call to respond to the other [with no expectation of the
call being returned] is an ideal that I cannot embrace [at this point in my
development]. However people who I respect [see Donna Orange or Roger Frie]
see Levinas as a central guide in exploring alterity.

However, another phenomenologist who I am relating to is Merleau-Ponty's
notion of the world as EXCESS beyond all theories. In the grasping of the
world [in*formation as an activity] we have a gestalt experience [cognition
is the process of "expressing" this  experience] I see this expression or
"singing the world" as a way of understanding in*formation.  Reason, from
this perspective, is the act of expression [conclusion] of what was OPEN &
MULTIPLE until the moment OF expression. Until expressed there are multiple
[but not infinite] possibilities or potential of expression. In this sense
the world is always already open and potential. We mistake the derivative
reflecting or looking back at the expressive conclusion [and in the looking
back "representing" the expressive movement] AS IF it was causal and derived
FROM propositional thoughts LEADING TO conclusions.  "Cognitive expression"
is a key concept in  M-P's last work "the Visible and Invisible".
John Shotter, who I believe has engaged deeply with both Vygotsky and
Merleau-Ponty, is an author that I'm looking to in my struggle to translate
these different traditions which I believe should be in a conversation.
Perception [M-P] and conception [Vygotsky] as a socio-historical
intersubjective dialogical AND ETHICAL "expression of EXCESS" is my growing
edge.

Christine, I'm not sure if you are interested in the framework of
"relational gestalt" or "relational psychoanalysis" that posits
"intersubjectivity" "all the way down" [not derivative] as the in*formation
of "situated agency". If you are I wouls suggest looking at Donna Orange's
book "Thinking for Clinicians". The book introduces Buber, Wittgenstein,
Merleau-Ponty, Levinas, and Gadamer, as sharing a similar
project.  Psychoanalysis has been radically transformed by its engagement
with intersubjective versions of Continental Philosophy.
I am not at a point of integrating CHAT with this other framework, but
people like Zinchenko, Rey, Anna Stetsenko are also engaging with
subjectivity and alterity from within the CHT paradigm, so I'm acting on
faith that bridges may in*form my expressive journey.

Larry