Re: Freire & Dewey RE: [xmca] ISCAR (review)

Here is a little about Dewey's influence on Freire from
*Reading Paulo Freire: his life and work* By Moacir Gadotti

http://books.google.com/books?id=X_bQMqoXBpYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=freire&hl=en&ei=AT5-TsSKAoGWtwe457Vw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&sqi=2&ved=0CGAQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=dewey&f=false

Robert Lake

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Tony Whitson <twhitson@udel.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011, Michael Glassman wrote:
>
> It is instead an ensemble production I guess, with a whole lot of
> interesting players and one extraordinary coincidence (the degree to which
> Freire's ideas in Pedagogy of the Oppressed mirror some of the original
> ideas behind action research even though really their only common
> denominator are basic ties to Dewey).
>
> =========
>
> I would be interested in seeing basic ties to Dewey in Freire's work, but I
> am not aware of any. Freire seems most influenced by Hegel, and then by
> Sartre and other Europeans, as well as Fanon and other anti-colonial
> Africans. The closest to an American influence that I can recall are Fromm
> and Marcuse, who are both from the German Frankfurt School.
>
> Of courese, begninning around 1971, Freire was in dialogue with Americans
> like Giroux and Aronowitz; but even then, they seem to be channeling
> European ctitical theory, more than American pragmatism.

*Robert Lake  Ed.D.
*Assistant Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-5125
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA  30460

 *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
midwife.*
*-*John Dewey.