Re: [xmca] LSV- Dynamic Assessment-Feurestein-Kozulin Article

Dear Members,
I have been a "read only" member for a long time, then ventured into discussion when a topic came up that I had some chance of joining. Perhaps, like many, I am too busy with school duties etc to have enough time to read articles and write something. Every topic is inviting, especially all this about Dynamic Assessment that is heating up quick! There were some mails that mentioned "Zoped" and even a mention of "potential" to replace "proxmate" for the p. Engelstrom (Tom Sawyer) and David Kellogg do this (see Mrs. Gaskell), and perhaps Vygotsky in his time (I have three of his books and havn't had time to even skim them)! good solid literary metaphors can provide tons of informative contextualizing. Politics slips in, too. L2 learning and testing is big -- evaluating competence as you go along and evaluating it to get funding are totally, absolutely DIFFERENT.

And I live in Japan, don't speak Japanese well enough to be a member, hey, I am not "a member";  I am "a visiting scholar" (who happens to be a Faculty member (weird ambiguities dog me at every step). I guess the point is, I don't know who the other "read only" people are and cannot guess at all if there would be repercussions at any level (or not!) but still feel I have to cloak whatever I talk about in deep metaphor, which nevertheless needs a key (allegoresis). I am more paranoid than I would like to be, but experiential learning is talked about and done (to some extent) but not the way I do it. For some reason, and I can't figure out why or how to get through the thicket (feels like a Dante metaphor being born). Anyway, it's not the metaphor, it's how you use/interpret it.

What this has to do with Achilles note (below) is there are a lot of us in very weirdly different situations. For example, I suddenly disappeared (vanished) with the onset of a strange disease just when I was beginning to think I could say something that fit into an on-going conversation, which is surely the best mailgroup/grouplist (I don't even know what it's called) I know, and am only back on-line after a long spate of rehabilitation -- but not back-to-normal due to memory loss and loss of certain cognitive skills. But as Mike shows in this answer and Achilles shows in his questions, let us by all means be as receptive, careful, and intuitive as possible because we all have certain kinds of filters, but they should only screen out the unacceptably unconnected, the rude (language and so on), and something (I'm not sure what) like "the casually dashed-off note without sufficient contextualizing for it to merge with an on-going thread" (just a patch-in).

This list makes me sure that there are people everywhere, maybe even here in the country where I reside, who are trying to do what I am trying to do, but I don't know where they are and if we are allowed to talk! That said, let's keep talking. L2 is really big in my world and TOEIC (to me) is a "dumbing down strategy" that makes me feel ill.
Valerie Wilkinson

Faculty of Informatics, Shizuoka University